Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn, my God, do you learn.

-C.S. Lewis



Stream In January

Stream In January

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another Winter Storm...and more on the way!


The snow started falling at 1:00, Friday afternoon. By 5:00, this is what the garden and yard looked like.




After 10" of snow had fallen on Friday night, the ice started to fall. This is what Saturday looked like. The tree limbs started to snap and thousands in the area were without power. Many still are. We were lucky. No power outages, but this is a long way from over. Temps tonight will be single digits. The birds are hungry!


Sunday morning - the sun is shining but the trees are heavily laden with ice. All around we can hear the sound of limbs breaking as the ice from the upper limbs falls on the lower ones. More wintry weather is predicted for Tuesday and then for Thursday and Friday.
I won't speculate on the fate of the bees in my Ora hive. The garden gate is frozen solid and I don't know when I'll be able to get to the hives. This has been a very difficult winter.




4 comments:

Ngaio said...

Thats amazing - it looks like a winter wonderland - I guess it doesn`t feel like that to you ! I saw on our news last week where you were having storms and more snow - we have had lots of rain, thunder and lightening - with it all affecting drought areas badly as the hillsides slip away, some flooding also - the weather across the world seems to be out of control..

İlhami Uyar said...

You can see same landscapes in here,we wait nice conculısıons this year,after rainy and snowy days flora fauna will be give much more vegetable and fruıts.Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, Lynn! What wonderful pictures. I made some last weekend too, and just got around to posting them. And now there's another system headed here for the next two days to hammer us again. This one is probably going to be an ice event which I dread. Bring on the spring! I sent you an email in response to the one you sent from Dr. Tarpy and sugar dustings. I never heard back so I don't know if you got it or not. Check your spam filter if you missed it. Stay warm!

Dee Carlson said...

Seems like most posts on the weather show it has been crazy everywhere. As I commented on my blog this morning, the instructors at the beekeeping class last night said they are very concerned about how many hives will still be around this spring. I hope there will be many pleasant surprises.